Sunday, March 23, 2008

Running for fun---what kind of fun is that?


Most people (including but not limited to my husband) think I am absolutely nuts. They're probably right. I've run several marathons, and my latest challenge is an Ultramarathon. This is a race in which I will run 50 miles. Without stopping.
***
I've been running religiously for several years. It's made me a little obsessive. I wrote a 15-page paper on the addiction of running back in college. Not surprisingly, I discovered my own addiction. I even named my puppy after my first pair of running shoes. But what really makes me seem odd is the mileage I log for no apparent reason (or so it sometimes seems).
***
All I do anymore is sleep and run. Last week I logged over 70 miles, all of them with my very tired dog, Nike. This dog would run to the edge of the world for me. Literally. We live on the coast and usually run along the bike path at the edge of the world that goes from Marina Del Rey down past LAX. Sometimes I feel bad about running so much. Especially on days like yesterday. We ran 26.2 miles (a marathon), and then walked another 3 at the beach. Nike is dog tired. We come home, and I will fill the bathtub with cold water and he will soak his muscles and drink until he's sick. I took him out to go to the bathroom and he limped the whole 20 feet to the lawn. It kind of makes me feel bad, until I take him out for the next run and he's smiling at me like he couldn't be happier.
***
Everyone knows that some excercise is good for you. Real runners don't care. They run because they feel like it and because they enjoy it. As a self-proclaimed running addict (and only a moderate one at that), I run over 10 hour a week. When I don't run, it's like there's something missing, and I don't know how to fill the void. I run to stay healthy, but I also run because it's a part of me. Doctors recommend running 3-5 days a week for 30 minutes at a time. Joe Henderson, a runner/writer stated, "This [15 miles/week] you do for the body. What follows is self-indulgence."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think only people who truly have experienced the addiction to endorphins that you clearly have, would ever even come close to understanding your addition to running. Keep it up!