Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Best Films of 2007

I know most people do their “best of the year” movie reviews at the end of the year, but I see most of my movies on DVD. Blockbuster online is such a bargain and it’s not exactly comfortable to snuggle with my wife in those theater seats but my couch works just fine. Besides, everyone else does their reviews at the end of the year so perhaps this one will be at least a little more interesting by virtue of its novel timing. In fact it’s such a good idea (if I do say so myself) that I may do a best of the year music blog in a later addition.
So here are my favorite flicks of last year in no particular order.

I Am Legend: Kind of like Cast Away but with zombies and explosions. I also loved how the Bob Marley music broke up the tension. “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.” Seriously, something about his music just slows your heart rate the second it comes on.

Rescue Dawn: Werner Herzog’s films have this overwhelming sense of reality and this one is no exception. There’s this one scene I can’t get out of my head. It’s where one of the characters is sitting there playing with these plants that close up when you touch them. So natural, so real.

Enchanted: Amy Adams was great.

The Simpsons: I laughed a lot. Plus it was a whole event in and of itself. They even converted the 7-Eleven down the street into a KWIKI MART.

As you can see April was very exited to be there. Here I am as a Simpsons' charachter. You can try it yourself at
http://simpsonizeme.com/

The Company: My brother and his wife gave me the DVD’s of this movie/mini series. It’s a great spy thriller with a lot of accurate and some inaccurate history that follows some fictional and some historical figures through almost the entire history of the CIA. Well acted (especially by Michael Keaton who plays James Jesus Angleton the real life “spy hunter”), extremely well written, and historically accurate. I also happen to be reading Tim Weiner’s Legacy of Ashes, a very well written informative albeit somewhat biased history/op ed piece of the CIA.

Ratatouille: Great animation, great voice acting, great story.

The Bourne Ultimatum: I liked the first Bourne but I didn’t think it was anything special but the second and third installments have had a lot of depth as spy thrillers and have done so somehow without sacrificing any action.

In the Shadow of the Moon: I was absolutely fascinated with the in depth personal descriptions of what it was like visit the moon. I felt as if I somehow experienced the trip myself. Also the collection of foottage is fantastic.

Breach: I know this the third spy movie on the list but it was a good year for spy movies (The Good Shepard almost made the list as well but not quite). This one is a true story.

Live free or die hard: A lot of fun, as always.

Spider man 3: Liked way it was solved. The protagonist and antagonist actually worked their differences out instead of settling them in some abandoned factory.

Harry Potter 5: Not as good as #4, but still had a good time. April and I saw it Imax 3-d, Fun.

Dan in Real Life: A great little comedy.

Rocky Balboa: Redemption for the series after #5.


No Country For Old Men: I've liked every film the Coen brothers have made. The scenery was stunning, the villain was a modern classic, and the suspense level was up to eleven for much of the movie.

Juno: There were a few things that bugged me about this film but it was cleverly written and I laughed a lot.

No comments: