Monday, August 29, 2011

Hebgen 2011 and Bar Stories Part II

We spent another nice vacation this year up at the cabin. But before we could go up there I had to get the Utah Bar Exam out of the way. Funny story about that (but not funny at the time). The night before the first day I got almost no sleep, thanks in large part to some recent changes to Utah’s fireworks laws. Apparently you can now set off fullblown bombs and missiles for nearly the entire month of July. Thank you Tea Party. So, going into the first day I was already sleep deprived.

The next night I climbed into bed around 10:00 pm in order to get a solid night’s rest before the second full day of testing. My parents were out of town and April was hanging out with a friend so I was all alone. As I was starting to doze off, the doorbell rang. I got dressed, went down stairs, and opened the door. There was no one there. I climbed back into bed started to drift off. The doorbell rang again. I climbed back out of bed, got dressed again, and looked out again. Nothing but darkness. This could only mean one thing: doorbell ditchers! (either that or the Raven). Let’s just say that these kids clearly picked the wrong house with the wrong guy in it on the wrong night.

I slipped out the back door and hid in the bushes near the front yard. When the teenagers struck a third time, I pounced. I caught up with them after about a block. I didn't know I was in that good of shape. When I finally caught the little neighborhood punks, they were a bit taken aback by the extent of my fury. After a very “nice” long chat that included a discussion of the ramifications of trespassing (I was fresh up on the elements after all) they decided that they would not doorbell ditch me any more. The next day I finished the bar about 40 minuets early. They wouldn't let us leave before time was called so I took a nap right there in the test hall. I was that tired. Suffice it it to say I have never been so glad to get away to the cabin.IMGP1812

IMGP1736

This year was particularly fun because we had the entire extended Garff Family up there, including our friends, the Brays, who came all the way from England.IMGP1743

IMGP1744

Now that I see the picture, I realize that he didn't like this very much.

IMGP1751

IMGP1733

BraysandcabinJuly-Aug2011025BraysandcabinJuly-Aug2011077

William really liked the frog we caught. It hung out on the top of his head.

BraysandcabinJuly-Aug2011078

Now whenever we say the word “frog” he points to his head. He also now puts his stuffed animal frog on top of his head. I guess he has figured out that the top of his head is where frogs go.

BraysandcabinJuly-Aug2011079IMGP1757

While at the cabin William discovered that he loves boats. He has been obsessed with them ever since. He calls everything that looks like a boat, “boat” and he pushes his toys around the carpet making boat sound effects. William’s namesake observed that this boat infatuation is a “genetic flaw,” all Garff’s seem to have it.

IMGP1818

IMGP1770IMGP1766IMGP1815IMGP1784IMGP1802

Can’t wait till next year.

BraysandcabinJuly-Aug2011053

3 comments:

Mark G said...

Great photos! The Mark R. still floats!

Karen said...

Such a great time at the cabin!!

Karina said...

Love the doorbell ditch story. They will remember that and talk about that for weeks!