Friday, June 13, 2008

I need to go back to Amoeba

The greatest music store in the world: The cd racks go on forever, they have everything (almost), and they have that everything used or discounted. This doesn’t stop me from blowing between 50 to 150 bucks every time I go there. It’s the Costco effect. When stuff is cheaper you buy much more of it and end up spending way more than you would at a regular store.
It’s the kind of place you can spend hours in, or at least I can. Once I drug April there but she got bored after about an hour and a half. I could have gone at least a couple more hours.
One of my favorite things about Amoeba is that, unlike most music stores, you never feel as if the store clerks might look down on you for your music choices. I’m something of a music snob. At least my wife insists that I am. And I’m a little ashamed to admit it but sometimes I do care what others think. I want them to think that I’m cool and “in the know” when it comes to music. Come on, I’ve gotta be cool when it comes to something. Music is probably my best bet. So again I’m ashamed to admit it but every time I bring a stack of cds to the music store counter this thought always runs through my head: “will this guy (whom I don’t know in the slightest and will never see again) think I’m cool?” But I don’t get that at Amoeba because the employees behind the counter never smirk or sigh. I think it’s because they’re so cool that it doesn’t matter. They don’t need to judge others’ taste. They’re secure with themselves. They don’t need to prove anything, especially that they’re better than me.

No comments: