Thursday, September 15, 2011

Testing, Testing…

There’s been way too much testing going on around the Garff family the last few months.

It all started with my NASM exam in May to become an official personal trainer.  I passed.

May was followed by a VERY crazy June/July in which Steven was studying for the UT BAR and MPRE. He got a 127 on the MPRE (90%+), and we just found out he passed the UT BAR!!!

Last month, I decided to do some testing on my own.

testing

I failed the first two, but the next 6 were a piece of cake. Sometimes you just know. And yes, I realize 8 tests may be a bit excessive, but after what happened with my first 2 pregnancies, I feel better just seeing those two pink lines. And I bought them at $.20/each, so I didn’t really feel like I was wasting them.

I’m almost 9 weeks and I’ve already done all sorts of crazy testing at both my OB/GYN and Hematologist, and so far so good.  My latest ultrasound even showed double good results. twins @ 8w4d double baby shotYeah, you heard that right.  I am having TWINS. Oh baby (baby). The extra sickness and fatigue are really starting to make sense now. On the bright side, Dr. Boyer said she won’t charge us for a second ultrasound since she made a mistake the first time.  :)

It appears the twins are most likely fraternal, as they’re not sharing a sac, but we may have to wait it out to know for sure. I’m 9 weeks so far, and my official due date is April 21st, 2012, though we’ve already been told to prepare for a late March/early April birth due to twins being term at 37 weeks.

We had a hunch it might be twins, but after last month’s ultrasound, we figured it was probably just wishful thinking (or masochistic dreaming, pending your interpretation).  But when the doctor pulled the image on the screen today, her face got so confused, I knew something was up. Even though I wasn’t totally sure what I was looking at, it looked like 2 babies to me. Apparently, she has almost never missed a twin, even in early ultrasounds (mine was at 6.5 weeks last time, and she even checked for a hiding baby). It was a good thing I was laying down! We’re excited, stressed, confused, thrilled, and already going crazy at the thought of tripling the child population at the house.  But it’s a good crazy, right?

12 comments:

betsey said...

LOVE THIS! WOW!! TWINS!?!?! What great news! We are just thrilled for you guys and for adorable Silly Billy as he will be a wonderful big brother. Congrats and we hope you are healthy and enjoying the pregnancy!

Karen said...

We are way excited!!!

Emily and Ryan said...

No WAY! That is amazing! Congrats you guys! Double the fun right? I love Dr. Boyer too...she delivered Ethan! Hope the fatigue and sickness ease up soon!

Jacy said...

Holy moly! I'm going crazy with excitement for you right now. You will be AMAZING with twins! I can totally see it. And I can totally see Silly Billy as the best big brother ever. CONGRATS!!!

thailiz said...

Oh wow, congrats! That is so great!! Hope your symptoms ease up a bit - take care of yourself!

Jacy said...

P.S. I did know about your first two pregnancies, but I followed the link you provided anyway and read the post. I loved the comment from your brother about, "The Titans lost one last week but rebounded to win triumphantly. You will too." Now, if this isn't rebounding to win triumphantly, then I just don't know what is. There's no way to remove the pain or replace the earlier loss, but this is one heck of a come-back! So happy for you!!

Laura Earl said...

Congrats you two!! Soon to be a family of 5! :) Love it

Laura and Clint said...

Yeah!! That's so exciting. I hope you start feeling better soon. And it looks like the bar results came through today.

Julie said...

LOOOOVE IT! And hello, 20 cent pregnancy tests? Bargain shopper.

Marie and Jeff Harrison said...

Congrats April! How exciting! You will be a great mom of twins!

Valerie and Mercado Family said...

Way cool! Good luck with the pregnancy!

Kelli said...

Wow, how amazing! Congrats such exciting news! I hope your feeling better soon!