Saturday, December 5, 2009

Born In West L.A.

Friday morning at about 8 AM April went into labor. She was just getting home from her morning run. Her doctor predicted that April was going to run herself right into labor. April's water broke right afterwards and we headed to the hospital. But not straight to the hospital. April couldn't help making a detour to take advantage of a killer Sports Chalet sale on the way. We cheaped out and parked at the Institute (it just feels so wrong to pass up free parking in Westwood). As we were walking to the hospital we were both thinking to each other; "gee, this isn't so bad, a few more hours of this and we'll be done."

Thirty-two hours later William Gary Garff came into the world at 4:00 this afternoon (that's right, I just yada yada yada-ed 32 hours of contractions, pain, endurance, etc... April likely has more to say about that).

And now the moment you've all been waiting for, William's first photo-op


This next picture was taken right afterwards too. April looks pretty good for someone who just endured over 30 hours of labor.

William measured 2o inches long and weighed in at, drumroll...

exactly 7 pounds, 2 ounces. Congratulations to to the brand new Grandma Garff who's guess was right on the money. She will be getting the secret prize, April's award winning cheesecake. That's right, I never told you that there was a secret prize. Congratulations also to Dagny and Meredith who tied for second place (sorry no cheesecake).

My parents flew in with perfect timing to see their new grandson.




The doctors, staff, and facilities here at UCLA have all been exceptional. My mom remarked that it's more like a hotel her than a hospital. Here's the view from our room.
April did an excellent job enduring the entire drawn out process.

His little face shows that it was all worth it.



Holding my son right after he was born was the most amazing experince of my entire life. My entire body was buzzing with emotion.

Welcome to the world William.

15 comments:

Erin and Matt said...

He's a doll! Good job! That's so wonderful - April is a rock star!

EY Thrift Store said...

I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!! I've been thinking about you all day. Way to go. Too bad I don't get cheesecake, though. Oh man, maybe next baby.

Leslie said...

Congratualtions guys! He is precious for sure. I love the pic with April holding him in the chair when you can see his whole body and he looks so sweet and peaceful.
Hope the labor went well April, I'll look forward to the birth story. I bet it wasn't quite like a marathon eh?

Kelli said...

Yeah congrats! We are so excited for you guys! April, you are a trooper 32 hours!!! Jeez, you'll be able to hold that one over this little guy's head his whole life! The pictures are beautiful he looks like a little angel!

Julie said...

I'm gonna cry. So glad he's here safe and sound! Mac sends his congrats as well =)

Ashlee said...

Congratulations! Enjoy every minute of your new little one! He is perfect!

Bomb said...

Congratulations! He is such a cutie pie! I love the picture of his little face close up. So glad you made it through safely, both baby and mommy.

Karolyn said...

Congratulations. He's a beautiful baby. April did a great job.

betsey said...

Way to go April! Congrats and we just are so happy for you two! William is adorable, I love the close up pictures at the end of the post. I can't wait to hear the birth story and to see more pictures! Best of luck!

Unknown said...

He is SOOOO cute! And I do have to say, April looks AWESOME after delivery! I cannot wait to hold and snuggle and spoil my new nephew!!!

Jerkolas said...

Terrific news! Congratulations!

Valerie and Mercado Family said...

Congrats! What a trooper April was! I knew she could endure anything, though, with all those marathons she runs...

Nutty Nicky said...

YAY!!! I'm glad that everything went okay, and he is SO ADORABLE!!! Congrats.

Jacy said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you. Sounds like April wins the mother-of-the-year award for surviving his birth! Way to go. Hope you're all resting and recovering.

thailiz said...

YAY! Congratulations, you guys, he's beautiful! Glad to hear you're all doing so well! Good luck!